Directory of Services

HISTORY OF LODGE PLANTATION GLASGOW, NO. 581

A LOT HAS HAPPENED SINCE 22 BRETHREN MET ON 26TH JANUARY 1876 IN THE PREMISES OF BRO.ALEX GOW, CAMDEN PLACE, GOVAN ROAD, GLASGOW TO DISCUSS THE FORMATION OF A LODGE. A MEETING WAS HELD IN THE CHORAL HALL, LAMBHILL STREET ON 1ST FEBRUARY 1876 WITH BRO. WILLIAM FERGUSON (A FAMILY WHICH HAS SPANNED THE FULL 125 YEARS OF THE LODGE) IN THE CHAIR. THE DECISION WAS TAKEN TO CALL THE LODGE 'PLANTATION'. INITIATION FEES 0, AFFILIATION FEE 10/6 AND THE FOUNDING OFFICE BEARERS CHOSEN WITH BRO THOMAS STOBO OF 3 BIS ELECTED CHARTER MASTER. THE FIRST MEETING OF THE LODGE WAS HELD ON 6TH FEBRUARY 1876 (THE CHARTER DATE) WITH BRO WILLIAM FERGUSON D.M. IN THE CHAIR. BRO STOBO WHO WAS A FACTOR HAD OFFERED THE HALL, WHICH HE OWNED IN CRAIGIEHALL STREET AND THIS WAS SECURED AT A RENT OF 10 PER ANNUM RENT. THE OPENING CEREMONY WAS FIXED FOR 13TH MARCH 1876 IN THE MASONIC HALL CRAIGIEHALL STREET AND WAS CARRIED OUT BY BRO A MCTAGGART M.A., PROVINCIAL GRAND SECRETARY OF GLASGOW REPRESENTING THE GRAND LODGE OF SCOTLAND WHO HANDED OVER THE CHARTER OF CONSTITUTION TO BRO THOMAS STOBO R.W.M.

THE LODGE CONTINUED TO MEET REGULARLY IN CRAIGIEHALL STREET UNTIL 1885 WHEN IT REMOVED TO MORE SUITABLE PREMISES AT 465 PAISLEY ROAD. THE FIRST MEETING IN THE NEW HALL WAS HELD ON 21ST DECEMBER 1885.

IN THE EARLY DAYS AS WELL AS THE SOCIAL MEETINGS THE LODGE EMBARKED ON WHAT WAS DESCRIBED AS THE ANNUAL EXCURSION (THE FORE RUNNER OF THE PRESENT DAY BUS RUN BUT, I AM SURE NOT AS EXCITING!) AND AMONG THE PLACES VISITED WERE DRUMMOND CASTLE AND GARDENS, ROSSLYN, FALLS OF CLYDE, LOCHEARNHEAD, CRIEFF AND COMRIE, KYLES OF BUTE, LAKE OF MENTEITH ETC.

THE LODGE CONTINUED TO MEET IN THE HALL IN PAISLEY ROAD, BUT FINDING THE ACCOMMODATION WAS NOT SUFFICIENT TO MEET THE REQUIREMENTS A COMMITTEE WAS FORMED ON 9TH OCTOBER 1893 TO LOOK FOR SUITABLE PREMISES. ON 23RD OCTOBER THE COMMITTEE REPORTED THAT SUITABLE PREMISES COULD BE OBTAINED AT 7 RUTLAND CRESCENT ON FAVOURABLE TERMS AND IT WAS UNANIMOUSLY AGREED TO LEASE THE PREMISES. IT WAS AGREED TO HOLD A BAZAAR TO DEFRAY THE COST OF THE ALTERATIONS ETC TO THE HALL. THE FIRST MEETING IN THE NEW HALLS AT 7 RUTLAND CRESCENT WAS HELD ON 21ST MAY 1894. BRO JOHN T GRAHAM J.P. OF BROADSTONE, RIGHT WORSHIPFUL PROVINCIAL GRAND MASTER OF GLASGOW CITY PROVINCE, AND PROVINCIAL GRAND OFFICE BEARERS CONSECRATED THE LODGE PREMISES ON 10TH SEPTEMBER 1894. THE LODGE CONTINUED TO MEET IN RUTLAND CRESCENT UNTIL 1983.

THE BAZAAR REFERRED TO ABOVE WAS HELD IN THE FINE ART INSTITUTE (NOW MCLELLAN GALLERIES) SAUCHIEHALL STREET, GLASGOW ON 3RD, 4TH AND 5TH JANUARY 1895 AND THE GROSS PROCEEDS AMOUNTED TO 2,162 15S 11D.

IN MARCH 1901 THE SEMI-JUBILEE OF THE LODGE WAS CELEBRATED BY A WELL-ATTENDED AND BRILLIANT FUNCTION IN THE MASONIC ROOMS 100 WEST REGENT STREET. BRO JOHN WALLACE R.W.M. PRESIDED AND WAS SUPPORTED BY MOST OF THE PAST MASTERS AND OFFICE BEARERS OF THE LODGE.

DURING 1901 AND 1902 A NUMBER OF SUNDAY EVENING SACRED CONCERTS WERE HELD IN THE HALL, 7 RUTLAND CRESCENT, ALSO A GRAND CONCERT IN THE GRAND NATIONAL HALLS, PRESIDED OVER BY BRO SIR SAMUEL CHISHOLM, BART., LORD PROVOST OF GLASGOW. THE OBJECT OF THE SCHEME WAS TO SECURE FOR THE LODGE PERMANENT CONNECTION WITH, AND INTEREST IN, THE VICTORIA AND WESTERN INFIRMARIES. THE LODGE WAS ENABLED TO SUBSCRIBE FIFTY GUINEAS TO THE VICTORIA INFIRMARY AND FIFTY POUNDS TO THE WESTERN INFIRMARY. BY THESE SUBSCRIPTIONS THE LODGE SECURED THE RIGHT TO RECOMMEND TWO PATIENTS ANNUALLY FOR TREATMENT IN EACH OF THESE USEFUL INSTITUTIONS.

IN 1903 BRO REV THOMAS ANGUS MORRISON WAS ELECTED R.W.M. AND OCCUPIED THE CHAIR WITH GREAT ACCEPTANCE. SINCE THEN HE HAS HELD VERY IMPORTANT POSITIONS IN MASONRY AMONG OTHERS THAT OF PROVINCIAL GRAND CHAPLAIN OF GLASGOW AND GRAND CHAPLAIN.

DURING THE YEARS OF THE GREAT WAR, THE LODGE HELD MANY FUND RAISING CONCERTS AND MADE GRANTS TO THE PRINCE OF WALES NATIONAL RELIEF FUND, BELGIAN REFUGEE FUND, SCOTTISH HOSPITAL FOR LIMBLESS SAILORS AND SOLDIERS. 100 WAS DONATED TO THE BRITISH RED CROSS SOCIETY AND IN RECOGNITION OF THIS TWO BEDS IN THE BELLAHOUSTON HOSPITAL WERE NAMED 'LODGE PLANTATION NO 581'. IN 1918 THE LODGE HELD AN ACTIVE SERVICE MEMBERS DINNER AND A ROLL OF HONOUR ON WHICH WAS INSCRIBED THE NAMES OF 138 BRETHREN WHO HAD SERVED WAS HANDED TO THE LODGE.

IN 1923 BRO JOHN CLARK P.M. RETIRED AS TREASURER HAVING HELD THE POST FOR SOME 25 YEARS. BRO CLARK ALSO SERVED AS MASTER FOR 3 YEARS.

IT IS INTERESTING TO NOTE THAT IN DECEMBER 1924 THE TOTAL ASSETS OF THE LODGE AMOUNTED TO 6,712 AND OF THIS 5,000 WAS HELD BY THE ANNUITY FUND.

IN 1936 BRO GEORGE S FERGUSON BECAME R.W.M., SON OF BRO WILLIAM FERGUSON WHO WAS A FOUNDER MEMBER OF THE LODGE. IN THE SAME YEAR, HIS SON BRO JAMES TAYLOR FERGUSON WAS INITIATED.

IT IS VERY UNFORTUNATE THAT THE LODGE MINUTE BOOKS TO 1945 ARE MISSING BUT, IN THE INTERVENING PERIOD THE LODGE CONTINUED TO PROSPER AND AS THE SECOND WORLD WAR APPROACHED THE BRETHREN OF LODGE PLANTATION JOINED THE ARMED SERVICES IN GREAT NUMBERS IN DEFENCE OF THE NATION. THE LODGE FORMED THE WAR COMFORT COMMITTEE TO ASSIST THE ABSENT BRETHERN'S WIVES, CHILDREN AND INDEED MOTHERS THROUGH THE WAR YEARS. ON 1ST OCTOBER 1945, THE BENEVOLENT COMMITTEE OF THE LODGE AGREED THAT A GRANT OF 2 IOS BE MADE TO EACH ANNUITANT OF THE LODGE AS A'VICTORY GRANT'. THE WAR COMFORT COMMITTEE WAS DISSOLVED ON 17TH DECEMBER 1945 AND THANKFULLY HAS NEVER HAD TO BE REFORMED.

THE ANNUAL REPORT OF THE LODGE OF 1945 REVEALED THAT THE AVERAGE ATTENDANCE HAD INCREASED TO 89 AND THAT 41 INTRANTS HAD BEEN RECEIVED INTO THE LODGE. AS 1945 CAME TO A CLOSE THE LODGE ORGANISED A BURNS SUPPER AND 70TH ANNIVERSARY DINNER FOR THE FOLLOWING YEAR IN THE MARLBOURGH AT A COST OF 12/6. THEY ALSO ORGANISED A CONCERT IN THE KINGSTON HALLS IN AID OF THE PROVINCIAL WAR HOSPITAL FUND WITH THE STAR TURN' BEING SIR HARRY LAUDER. BALCONY SEATS 2/6D OTHER AREAS 2/- AND CHILDREN HALF PRICE. THIS WAS A BUSY TIME IN THE SOCIAL CALENDAR OF THE LODGE WITH A VICTORY DANCE BEING HELD. BRO JAMES MCGREGOR MURRAY BECAME VERY ACTIVE IN THE ORGANISATION OF THE JOHN ADAM WHIST TOURNAMENT IN PROVINCIAL GRAND LODGE.

A PROPOSAL WAS PUT TO THE LODGE THAT ON THE OCCASION OF THE PROVINCIAL GRAND LODGE VISITATION ON 17TH MARCH 1947 THAT THE LODGE HAVE A 'DRY NIGHT'- THE PROPOSAL WAS HEAVILY DEFEATED.

A ROLL OF HONOUR WAS PURCHASED AT A COST OF 11 AND ON SUNDAY 2ND NOVEMBER 1947 A MEMORIAL SERVICE WAS HELD IN THE LODGE. THE SERVICE WAS CONDUCTED BY BRO REV G KERR MCKAY T.D., M.A. SUBSTITUTE PROVINCIAL GRAND MASTER. BRO JAMES MCGREGOR MURRAY DELIVERED THE ADDRESS.

THE FIRST PAST MASTER'S DINNER WAS HELD ON 12TH SEPTEMBER 1947 IN THE BERESFORD HOTEL. IN JUNE 1948 BRO CHARLES LEGGAT RECEIVED A 50-YEAR DIPLOMA.

1949 SAW BRO JAMES TAYLOR FERGUSON INSTALLED AS RW.M. THE THIRD GENERATION OF HIS FAMILY TO OCCUPY THE CHAIR OF THE LODGE. BRO JAMES WENT ON TO BECOME THE SENIOR WARDEN ON THE PROVINCIAL GRAND LODGE OF GLASGOW AND WAS COMMISSIONED AS A SUBSTITUTE PROVINCIAL GRAND MASTER. HE HAS SINCE CELEBRATED 60 YEARS IN THE CRAFT AND 50 YEARS AS A PAST MASTER. BRO JAMES ALSO HOLDS THE DISTINGUISHED SERVICE DIPLOMA FROM THE GRAND LODGE OF SCOTLAND.

IN SEPTEMBER 1956 THE NEW LODGE FURNITURE, NOW ON PERMANENT LOAN TO LODGE ROBERT BURNS NO 440, OF WARDENS CHAIRS AND DAIS, AND ALTER WAS DEDICATED FOR USE IN THE LODGE. 1958 THE LODGE SAW FIT TO HONOUR BRO E NOKES D P G M - WHO WENT ON TO BECOME PROVINCIAL GRAND MASTER - WITH HONORARY MEMBERSHIP OF THE LODGE.

THE KIDDIES TREAT TO BUSBY STARTED AND THE LODGE RECEIVED A CERTIFICATE TO RUN A LOTTERY WHERE THE PRIZES INCLUDED A THREE-PIECE SUITE, COCKTAIL CABINET AND ALSO AN ELECTRIC RAZOR. BRO JAMES MCGREGOR MURRAY WON THE SINGLES BOWLING CUP.

IN 1960 BRO H B WEIR P.M., THEN JUNIOR DEACON, PRESENTED THE LODGE WITH TWO DEACONS RODS WITH THE DOVE OF PEACE ON THE HEAD. THE LODGE WON THE JOHN ADAM WHIST CUP. THE RANGERS SUPPORTERS ASSOCIATION ARRANGED A LONG LEASE ON THE PROPERTY AT NO 5 RUTLAND CRESCENT. THE LODGE BUS RUN WENT TO DUNOON AND THE INSTRUCTION CLASS WAS STARTED AND WELL SUPPORTED.

THROUGH THE SIXTIES THE LODGE CONTINUED TO PROSPER. THE MONTHLY DANCES CONTINUED, THE KIDDIES TREAT BECAME AN ANNUAL EVENT, AS DID THE XMAS PARTY.

IN 1970 THE LODGE SAW THE VISITATION OF THE ROBERTSON FELLOWCRAFT TEAM OF CLEVELAND OHIO IN THE USA.

BRO JAMES MCGREGOR MURRAY ANNOUNCED THAT AT THE END OF 1971 HE WAS RESIGNING AS CHAIRMAN OF THE JOHN ADAM WHIST CUP AFTER 25 YEARS IN THE JOB.

IN 1973 IT WAS AGREED THAT A LOTTERY BE STARTED TO RAISE FUNDS FOR THE CENTENARY CELEBRATIONS AND BRO ROBERT GIBSON WAS PLACED IN CHARGE.

THROUGH THE SEVENTIES THE LODGE CONTINUED WITH THE VARIOUS FUND RAISERS JUMBLE SALES, LOTTERIES. THE SOCIAL EVENTS, DANCES AND KIDDIES TREATS CONTINUED. EVERYTHING WAS GEARED TOWARDS THE CENTENARY OF THE LODGE IN 1976.

THE YEAR SOON APPROACHED AND THE REDEDICATION CEREMONY ARRANGED FOR SATURDAY 13TH MARCH 1976. THE DEPUTATION WAS HONOURED BY A DEPUTATION FROM THE PROVINCIAL GRAND LODGE OF GLASGOW HEADED BY THE PROVINCIAL GRAND MASTER BRO BRIAN G BROWN (BRO JAMES T FERGUSON WAS ALSO IN THE DEPUTATION AS A SUBSTITUTE PROVINCIAL GRAND MASTER) AND A LARGE DEPUTATION. THE LODGE WAS FURTHER GRACED BY A DEPUTATION FROM THE GRAND LODGE OF SCOTLAND AND THIS WAS HEADED BY THE GRAND MASTER MASON BRO CAPT ROBERT WOLRIGE GORDON OF ESSLEMONT. BRO J B HUNTER I P M ASSUMED THE CHAIR AS THE R W M BRO JAMES MCFARLANE HAD SUFFERED A FAMILY BEREAVEMENT AND WAS UNABLE TO ATTEND. THE ACT OF REDEDICATION WAS CARRIED OUT BY THE GRAND CHAPLAIN BRO REV JOHN M STEWART UNDER THE DIRECTION OF THE GRAND DIRECTOR OF CEREMONIES DOUGLAS A AITKEN. AT THE CONCLUSION OF THE CEREMONY THE GRAND MASTER MASON WAS OFFERED HONORARY MEMBERSHIP OF THE LODGE WHICH HE STATED HE WAS DELIGHTED TO ACCEPT. GRAND CHAPLAIN WAS ALSO MADE AN HONORARY MEMBER OF THE LODGE. THE LODGE WAS THEN CLOSED AND THE BRETHREN ADJOURNED TO THE GOVAN TOWN HALL FOR THE OFFICIAL BANQUET.

DONATIONS OF 100 WERE MADE TO THE BENEVOLENT FUNDS OF BOTH THE GRAND LODGE OF SCOTLAND AND PROVINCIAL GRAND LODGE OF GLASGOW TO MARK TH EVENT. BRO J B HUNTER I P M FURTHER PRESENTED THE GRAND MASTER MASON AND GRAND CHAPLAIN WITH COMMEMORATIVE JEWELS TO MARK THE OCCASION. THE BRETHREN WHO HAD ATTENDED THE EVENTS HAD ALL IN ALL A WONDERFUL DAY. THE TOTAL FUNDS RAISED BY BRO GIBSON'S LOTTERY THAT STARTED IN 1973 WAS SOME 1265.

IN 1979 BRO BRIAN G BROWN PROVINCIAL GRAND MASTER OF GLASGOW ATTENDED THE LODGE FOR THE PURPOSE OF PRESENTING BRO JAMES MCGREGOR MURRAY WITH THE DISTINGUISHED SERVICE DIPLOMA FROM THE GRAND LODGE OF SCOTLAND. BRO MURRAY HAD JOINED THE LODGE ON 24TH JUNE 1918, BECAME MASTER IN 1940-41 HE WAS NOW THE SENIOR PAST SENIOR PROVINCIAL GRAND WARDEN OF THE PROVINCE OF GLASGOW, PAST CHAIRMAN OF THE HALLS AND BUILDINGS COMMITTEE OF GRAND LODGE, HONORARY GRAND JEWELLER OF THE GRAND LODGE OF SCOTLAND, PROXY MASTER OF LODGE ORANJE NO 1603. ON THE SAME EVENING BRO DAVID MCFARLANE WHITLOCK WAS ALSO PRESENTED WITH THE DISTINGUISHED SERVICE DIPLOMA HAVING COMPLETED 28 YEARS AS TYLER OF THE LODGE. BRO J P BRISBANE WHO HAD JOINED THE LODGE IN 1919 BECOMING MASTER IN 1930-31,COMPLETED 11 YEARS AS TREASURER AND BRO HENRY M BELL WHO JOINED THE LODGE IN 1942 BECOMING MASTER IN 1947-48 AND COMPLETED 25 YEARS AS BENEVOLENT FUND TREASURER WERE ALSO PRESENTED WITH THE SAME HONOUR. FOR HIS PART, BRO JAMES STRACHAN PRESENTED THE PROVINCIAL GRAND MASTER WITH A SPECIAL WOODEN TRIANGLE CONTAINING A LODGE MARK TOKEN.

1981 SAW BRO GEORGE MORROW, A PAST BENEVOLENT FUND TREASURER PRESENTED WITH A 50 YEAR DIPLOMA. BRO MORROW IN TURN PRESENTED THE LODGE WITH A FIRST ISSUE OF FIRST MAN ON THE MOON APOLLO II IN WHICH BRO EDWIN ALDRIN JNR MM IS DEPICTED. THE JAMES TURNER TROPHY FOR POOL AND DARTS WAS PRESENTED TO THE LODGE. IN MAY BRO WILLIAM FLEMING, PROVINCIAL GRAND MASTER OF GLASGOW WAS MADE AN HONORARY MEMBER OF THE LODGE. TOTE DOUBLE CARDS WERE INTRODUCED AS FUND RAISERS.

AN IN MEMORIAM SERVICE WAS HELD ON 20TH SEPTEMBER 1982 FOLLOWING THE DEATH OF BRO J0HN P BRISBANE P.M.

WHEN BRO W G DOUGLAS WAS MASTER IN 1983, A DECISION HAD TO BE MADE AS REGARDS THE LODGE PREMISES AS A BULGE AND CRACK HAD APPEARED IN THE REAR WALL OF THE PROPERTY AND THE COUNCIL DESCRIBED THE PROPERTY AS DANGEROUS. AS THERE WERE NO FUNDS AVAILABLE TO MEET THE SUBSTANTIAL COST OF REPAIRS IT WAS RELUCTANTLY AGREED THAT THE PREMISES BE SOLD TO THE COUNCIL. THE LODGE THEN MOVED TO THE MASONIC TEMPLE IN GOVAN TOWN HALL WITH THE FIRST MEETING BEING HELD ON 3RD SEPTEMBER 1984.

IN 1986 BRO JAMES T FERGUSON P.M. WAS PRESENTED WITH HIS 50 YEAR DIPLOMA BY THE PROVINCIAL GRAND MASTER BRO WILLIAM C SHEPHERDSON WHO IN TURN WAS MADE AN HONOURARY MEMBER OF THE LODGE. THE LODGE HELD A RACE NIGHT WHICH RAISED 740 OF MUCH NEEDED FUNDS. THE PRIZE DRAW RAISED A FURTHER 225.

IN DECEMBER 1987 BRO WILLIAM GILMOUR JNR WAS INSTALLED AS R.W.M. HE ALSO WAS MASTER IN 1995 AND BECAME THE 125TH MASTER OF THE LODGE ON 2ND DECEMBER 2000. BRO GILMOUR WAS COMMISSIONED AS A SUBSTITUTE PROVINCIAL GRAND MASTER OF GLASGOW ON 4TH AUGUST 1992 BY THE THEN PROVINCIAL GRAND MASTER THE LATE BRO HENRY IEFFREY. HE HAS SINCE BEEN COMMISSIONED BY BRO GEORGE A L MCEWAN AND ALSO SERVES OUR PRESENT PROVINCIAL GRAND MASTER BRO ROBERT R BEST AS A SUBSTITUTE PROVINCIAL GRAND MASTER.

THE LODGE CONTINUED THROUGH THE EIGHTIES AND EARLY NINETIES IN GOVAN TOWN HALL. IN 1993 THE LODGE'S SECOND AFFILIATE MASTER WAS INSTALLED IN THE PERSON OF BRO RICHARD M ALLAN. RICHARD SERVED THE LODGE IN THE CAPACITY OF MASTER FOR A PERIOD OF TWO YEARS. HE ALSO SERVES THE PROVINCE OF GLASGOW AND IS IN HIS SECOND YEAR OF OFFICE AS PROVINCIAL GRAND TREASURER.

GLASGOW DISTRICT COUNCIL DECIDED THAT THEY WOULD CLOSE THEIR PUBLIC HALLS AND THE LODGE BECAME HOMELESS. IT MOVED FOR A SHORT WHILE TO THE DISABLED DRIVERS ASSOCIATION HALL IN ABOUKIR STREET AND WE WOULD THANK THEM FOR AFFORDING US SHELTER. WE THEN MOVED TO THE RANGERS SUPPORTERS ASSOCIATION SOCIAL CLUB WHERE WE STAYED FOR TWO YEARS, THE LODGE IS NOW DOMICILED IN THE CLIFFORD STREET MASONIC CENTRE.

THE MILLENNIUM MASTER OF THE LODGE WAS BRO JAMES MCINTOSH WHO ATTAINED THE CHAIR AFTER SOME 30 YEARS A MEMBER OF 581. BRO ROBERT R BEST PROVINCIAL GRAND MASTER OF GLASGOW WAS MADE AN HONORARY MEMBER OF THE LODGE.

2001 A PRESENTATION OF A 50-YEAR DIPLOMA WAS MADE TO BRO WILLIAM AITKEN AND IN 2005 WILLIAM GILMOUR JNR P.M. IS INSTALLED AS THE PROVINCIAL GRAND MASTER OF THE PROVINCE OF GLASGOW, WITH RICHARD M. ALLAN, PM, INSTALLED AS A SUBSTITUTE PROVINCIAL GRAND MASTER.

 

home  |  history  |  syllabus  |  past masters  |  office bearers  |  photos  |  accessibility  |  privacy policy
Masonic Lodge Plantation Glasgow No 581, 3 Mafeking Street,
Glasgow, G51 2UQ.   E: contact@lodgeplantation581.co.uk
address bottom image